BJP Kalidas Kolambkar is new Pro Tem Speaker in Maharashtra Nov 2019: He is an eight-term member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly. Kalidas Kolambkar was elected from the Wadala of Mumbai, Maharashtra. He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party. After the Supreme Court, today has asked the Governor to take the floor test on 27th November at 5 PM.
The BJP Devendra Fadnavis has submitted his resignation letter in front of Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari. After that, Governor has appointed BJP MLA Kalidas Kolambkar as a pro-tem Speaker of the Assembly. The eight-time Wadala MLA Kolambkar was one of the candidates recommended for the post to the governor. The governor has administered the oath to Kolambkar as pro-tem speaker of the assembly.
POWERS of Pro Tem Speaker
Here are the powers of Pro Tem Speaker of Maharashtra or any states. The Pro-Term is a Latin phrase that translates to for the ‘time being’ in English. So the Pro-tem Speaker is a temporary speaker appointed for a limited period of time.
The need for pro- tem speaker: The speaker of the Lok Sabha/ legislative assembly vacates the office immediately before the first meeting of the newly elected house. Hence President/ governor appoints the pro-tem speaker to preside over the sittings of the house.
[button color=”green” size=”medium” link=”https://sarkarimama.com/power-pro-tem-speaker-maharashtra/” icon=”” target=”false”]Ajit Pawar – New Party Name[/button]
How the Pro-Tem is Appointed
- Usually the senior-most member is elected as the pro-tem speaker.
- The president/governor will administer the oath of the office for the pro-tem speaker.
- When the house elects the new speaker the office of the pro-tem speaker ceases to exist. Hence the office of the pro-tem speaker is a temporary one which will be in existence for a few days.
Powers & Work of Pro-Tem Speaker
Duties and functions:
- The main duty of the pro-tem speaker is to administer the oath to the newly elected members.
- Pro-tem also enables the house to elect the new speaker.
- When it said the “powers of the Speaker pro-tem are co-extensive with the powers of elected Speaker”.
- The pro-tem speaker also has same powers, privileges as that of the Speaker.
- Pro-tem is Speaker of the House “for all purposes with all powers, privileges, and immunities” until the Speaker is elected.